Suggestion for RAM caching

By Mike | January 10th, 2009 | 5:39 pm

Hi,

I occasionally use virtual machines that can require quite a bit of RAM.  The only way I can seem to free up the RAM I need is to remove the RAM cache, however when I re-add the RAM cache later, I have to fully rebuild it.  It would be good to have an option that temporarily disables the RAM cache and frees up the RAM, but remembers the RAM cache contents so it can be quickly re-enabled without a full build.

Michael

5 Responses to “Suggestion for RAM caching”

1. Colonel ONeill
    Jan 10, 2009

I second that. It would be very useful to have a quick way of dumping RAM to some disk file to temporarily free up RAM. VERY VERY HELPFUL for Photoshoppers, video editors, where lots of RAM is necessary.

2. zPedro
    Jan 10, 2009

Deactivating System Memory don’t free up RAM?

3. zPedro
    Jan 10, 2009

I tried it right now and available RAM jumped from 46% to 63%. It seems the feature you’re requesting is already there. Use your mouse right button over System Memory icon and disable it or enable.

4. Mike
    Jan 11, 2009

Thanks. I didn’t notice that function was there before. Very useful.

5. Big Muscle
    Jan 11, 2009

I think that this process should be fully automated. When free RAM goes below some value, eBoostr should start freeing cache to free RAM for application. Then, when RAM is free again, eBoostr should reload the cache. Similary to Vista’s superfetch.